Monday, June 16, 2014

VMware Office of the CTO, High Performance Computing

If you know me, then you know that I have a passion for HPC and virtualization and I enjoy a challenge.  I have been working with several customers behind the scenes on virtualizing HPC and developing this market for VMware and had presented at VMworld last year with UCSF on early work virtualizing their genome pipelines.  Now my latest challenge is to join full-time with VMware's Office of the CTO and I am humbled to be able to learn and contribute here.

I will be working with Josh Simons, leading HPC for VMware's OCTO and an HPC veteran and formerly with Sun Microsystems, towards advancement of how VMware approaches this market and the unique problems inherent in HPC as well as the problems now being shared by large "Web-scale" distributed systems.  It was at Hadoop Summit 2 weeks ago that I saw a lot of parallels resolving between HPC and the Hadoop ecosystem.  The common problems are classic computer science issues such as resource management and utilization as well as scheduling at different layers of the system.

And of course all of this is moving so fast, it's hard not to get distracted.  Which is why I appreciate being able to focus on this space because I will be able to leverage my background in compute, network, and storage as well as work on the bleeding edge on integrating and optimizing those with next-generation applications and frameworks.

No comments:

Post a Comment